Sunday, January 18, 2009

Happy 80th Birthday to Lola Packer!!!



HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LOLA!!!





The most wonderful thing about Lola Packer is her HUGE heart. She cares about and loves everyone in her family and her circle of friends. She grew up on a farm in Marysville, Idaho, about 30 miles north of here and her mother and dad taught their 6 daughters and 1 son how to work really hard. In fact, now that she can slow down a little and relax, she can't seem to do it much. She really seems to enjoy being busy. She loves to cook and makes wonderful treats for everyone. In college, she was a tailoring major and even sewed her husband a suit. She made her son a little leather "buckskin" jacket with the fringe across the back and down the arms when he was going through his cowboy stage around age 3 or so. And she did it all on a little Singer sewing machine that only had one stitch that went forward or backward. All her life she has enjoyed sewing and crocheting, making crafts, reading and gardening. Now, she can pass on her knowledge to direct her daughter and son-in-law in planting a garden this spring here in Idaho....very different from Texas gardening. She is one very talented lady and we are so thankful to be sharing our lives with her. 
-Emily Rowe


A Tribute to Lola Packer
by Sarah d'Evegnee

Several times during my difficult pregnancy last year, I would listen to my answering machine messages and hear a wonderfully cheerful grandmother's voice expressing the desire to bring over cookies or treats for my kids.  That voice!  It was not only maternal and soothing, but it was full of a genuine concern that only comes from a long life of service and empathy for those who are suffering.  Every time I listened to the messages, I was brought to tears because Lola Packer cared enough about me and about my family to look beyond her own health concerns to not just think about me. . . but to ACT for me.  

One of these times as she was handing my husband a plate of cookies and offering him that twinkly smile that only she can give, I could see that he was visibly moved by his interaction with her.  Afterwards, he said to me, "If the world were full of Lola Packers we'd all be translated today."

   Lola makes me want to be more cheerful, even on hard days.  She makes me want to not only think about what people need, but do something for them.  When she stands and bears an unshakable testimony, she makes my testimony more solid, more firm.  Hers is a life that has been lived carefully, deliberately, and joyfully.  She carefully gives all that she can to anyone in her sphere.  She looks around her deliberately to discover who might need something she can offer.  And no matter what challenges she is facing herself, she is joyful--so joyful that it is apparent in her countenance.  Lola Packer is a bright light!

   I want to be more like Lola.  Her example is one that cheers me up, motivates me, and gives me a pattern to follow.  

Lola, we are so grateful you were born!  
We are so grateful for how you live!
We love you!!!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lola, here's wishing you a happy birthday from Hawaii. You are an inspiration to all of us. I appreciate your enthusiasm for life and for your testimony of the Gospel. Love, Marilyn

Renée said...

Happy 80th Lola! Thank you for your lifelong example of service and goodness to so many. I'm so grateful for all I have learned from you. I'll be home to give you a big hug before we know it. Until then, have your best year ever. Love, Renee in NYC.