Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What's Cookin' Today?

Hello Hungry-for-Recipes-Sisters,

Some of you have requested that we share more recipes on the blog, so we're startin' by askin' Peggy Rogers to share 7 of her favorite recipes she makes.  Each night we'll post one of her week's worth of recipes.   

So -- drum roll please -- introducin' . . . "what's cookin' today"!
From the Kitchen of Peggy Rogers:  "I tried to pick a couple of recipes that should be canned this time of year with the abundance of fresh foods. I have bolded the stuff that needs to be canned or frozen in advance.

This one is Charlene Christensen’s. It uses up the abundance of garden produce this time of year. I have added my own touch to it and the grandchildren love this soup. I made nine batches of it last week because I needed to use up produce from my garden."
1 c. onions (chopped)
1 c. celery (sliced)
2 T. margarine
2 c. chicken stock or (2 cubes bouillon with 2 cups water)
2 c. carrots (sliced or diced)
2 c. zucchini, (sliced or diced)
2 c. corn cut from the cob
1 c. green peppers (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste


Saute onion and celery in margarine. Add broth and carrots. Simmer for 20 min. Add zucchini, corn and green peppers and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Season. Pour into freezer containers for future use in stews, soups, casseroles or squash fillings.

* I thaw this soup base, add one can cream of chicken soup, a can of cannery chicken or turkey and a small package of egg noodles (cook the noodles first).

No comments: